Wednesday 19 April 2017

Writing guide: formal letters or emails

Think about...
  • Decide whether you are writing an email or a letter.
  • What is your reason for writing (e.g. to complain, to apply for a job?
  • Write notes about the key things you want to include and some questions to ask.

Plan
Paragraph 1
Explain why you are writing.
Paragraph 2
Give more details about your reason for writing.
Paragraph 3
Give information about another aspect of your reason for writing
Paragraph 4
Give any additional information (e.g. What you would like to happen, your availability for an interview).

Useful language
Greetings
If you know their name:
Dear Mr / Mrs / Miss / Ms (Surname),
Yours sincerely, (Your full name)
If you don't know their name:
Dear Sir or Madam
Giving a reason for writing
I am writing to complain about...
I am writing in response to (your advert)...
Giving your opinion (formal language)
Furthermore,...
Moreover,...
In addition to... (-ing),...
Nevertheless,...
Including other documents
Please find... attached
Next steps
I would be grateful if you (could)...

Writing
Always include the recipient's name if you know it.

59 Wellington Road
Nottingham
NG27 4PU
Sheila Matthews
Woodlands Animal Shelter
40-42 Broadfields Road
Nottingam NG13 5TG

Dear Ms Matthews,

I am writing in response to the advert for part-time Saturday animal care assistants which appeared in the Nottinghamshire Echo on 10th November. I would be very grateful if you would consider my application and I enclose my CV.

I have considerable experience of looking after animals. In addition to having two dogs, I have spent two summers working on my uncle's farm in Devon. I also did work experience at a veterinary clinic for a week in April, which was an invaluable opportunity to learn more about small animals.

I believe I have the right personal qualities for this position. I would describe myself as hard-working and dependable, and I am passionate about animals and it would be highly satisfying to help injured and abandoned animals. As I want to study veterinary science at university, I hope to gain extremely useful experience at the same time.

I am available immediately and would be happy to attend an interview. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
Victoria White
Make sure that your ending matches the greeting.

Use full forms, not contractions.

Include a range of intensifiers.

Use formal words and expressions.

Use a range of tenses and structures.







No comments:

Post a Comment