Wednesday 19 April 2017

Informal emails and discussion essay

SAMPLE


WRITING REFERENCE: Informal emails

Think about...
  1. Think about who you're writing and why you're writing.
  2. Write notes about the key things you want to include and some questions to ask.

Plan
Paragraph 1
Ask your friend questions about him or her and tell them how you've been.
Paragraph 2
Give some news or explain your first reason for writing.
Paragraph 3
Give another piece of news or explain your second reason for writing.
Pararaph 4
Finish the email and say wh you have to stop writing

Useful language
Greetings
Responding to a message
Asking about your reader
Talking about you
Talking about experiences
Endings
Sing-offs
Hi...
Thanks for your email.
How are you?
I've been..
I decided to go along to...
I'd better go now.
Bye for now
Hi there
It's great to hear from you.
How's it going?/ How are things with you?
Guess what!
..., so I'm really pleased
Anyway, I've got to go now.
Write soon!
Hiya,
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply
What's up?
I've got some great/amazing/sad news
It's never happened to me before, but...
I'll be in touch again soon.
See you soon!
Dear...

What have you been doing since...?
I'm having a... time


Take care,


How have you been?
I'm having the time of my life!


Lots of love,


What's new?



Love from,

Writing
Hiya,
How are you? How was the concert? Thanks for your email. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've been really busy with exams and band practice.

Guess what! I've got some great news! My parents have agreed to let me go to the Reading Festival next summer! They're going to give me half ot the money for the ticket for my birthday. To earn the other hald, I have to help out with odd jobs at home – tidying up the garage, looking after my little sister, that kind of stuff. Have you spoken to your parents about it yet? Why don't you suggest doing the same thing?

My other news is that my band is playing at the end-of-term party! We're only going to be on stage for ten minutes or so, but I think it'll be awesome. It's also a good way to promote our music, so we're really pleased.

Anyway, how are things with you? What have you been doing since you finished your exams? I'd better gho now- I've got to study!

Bye for now,
Chris.
Use an informal greeting and ending
Ask questions and make suggestions
Use chatty, colloquial language
Use a variety of tenses
Include phrasal verbs and idioms to add interest
Use a variety of linking expressions.
Sing off with just your first name.





SAMPLE


WRITING REFERENCE: Discussion essays

Think about...
  1. Think about what you already know about the topic.
  2. Write notes about as many arguments 'for and against' the topic as you can.
  3. Choose your two strongest arguments in each topic.
  4. Decide what your own opinion is.

Plan
Paragraph 1
Introduce the topic and say what the current situation is.
Paragraph 2
Describe your arguments for the topic.
Paragraph 3
Describe your arguments against the topic.
Paragraph 4
Write a conclusion and give your own opinion. You could also include suggestions or recommendations.

Useful language
Introducing the topic
Some / Many people think / believe / consider that...
However, others...
It is thought/ believed / claimed that...

Adding ideas
Furthermore...
Moreover,...
In addition to this

Giving reasons and results
One result / effect of this is that...
Because of / As a result of this,...
Consequently,...
..., because/as...
Contrasting ideas
One the one hand,...On the other hand,...
On (dis)advantage of... is...
However,... / Nevertheless

Giving examples
For example / instance...
An example of this is...


Making suggestions or recommendations
...should (not) ...
(Noun + ing) would perhaps be a better solution / alternative


Wighing up the arguments
On balance...
All in all,...
Overall,...

Expressing your own opinion
Personally,...
In my opinion,...
I believe that....
My own view is that...





Writing
'Should university education be free? Discuss.

It is clear that society needs doctors, teachers and other people with university degrees. Neverthless, higher education is expensive and some people believe the government should pay for it. There are arguments for and against this idea.

One of the arguments for free university education is that university courses can be very expensive. For instance training as a doctor can be very expensive. For instance, training as a doctor can cost thoussands of pounds. Unless students come from wealthy families, they may not be able to afford it. Furthermore, it is claimed that if local universities cost too much, students will go abroad to study and might not return. Consequently, the country will lose valuable skills and the economy will suffer.

There are also arguments against the idea. For example, some people in society are very wealthy and they can easily afford fees. People also say there are too many unemployed graduates and that the government should encourage more young people to consider vocational careers.

On balance, I do not think university should be free for everyone because others in society need the money more. However, the government should support poorer students so everyone has access to education.
Give a general introduction to the topic
Use linkers of contrast, addition, reason and result
Separate arguments for and against into two separate paragraphs
Include examples to support your arguments
Give your own opinion at the end, giving a reason and perhaps a suggestion
Use modals to take suggestions and recommendations.


No comments:

Post a Comment